Auto Tree Building
Several tools can build a tree or branches and identify common ancestors automatically. This can be a significant time saver in your search.
WARNING: Most, but not all, of these tools are using the trees of other people and too many times those trees are wrong. Enough of those bad trees will send you in the wrong direction and make it harder to find your birth family.
So let these programs build a tree and then evaluate it as though you were a defense attorney.
- Ancestry ThruLines– automatically identifies branches to matches but does not add the branch to your tree.
- My Heritage Theories of Relativity ($) – automatically identifies branches to matches but does not add the branch to your tree.
- 23andMe Family Tree Feature – builds that tree exclusively based on your dna matches and their predicted relationships to each other and you. Does not use your match’s trees. Warning: These trees are highly speculative and should be considered with caution
3rd Party Tools
- Genetic Affairs($) – can build a downloadable tree after automatically gathering and clustering your matches
- DNA2Tree ($) – can build a downloadable tree after automatically gathering and clustering your matches. Automates tree search for common ancestors. Only works with ancestryDNA. Only works on Apple iphones and ipads